Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Alive and well -- damn well bored


Hello friends,

Yes, it is true. On Sunday evening while shopping at Border's (a favorite!!!) I started to feel a little under the weather. No big deal. This sort of thing happens to me all the time. Maybe it's an artistic thing. Kurt Cobain always had stomach issues and no internal specialist has ever been able to determine what's wrong with me so I decided to end my shopping trip a bit early and head straight for my couch.

Brilliant idea. A little TV time. Make some tea. No harm done. Hell, I saved money by not nabbing the special of the week.

Wrong. Very wrong. Fast forward a few hours. My comfy idea of a cozy hour in the fetal position on my couch turned into 10 hours of waiting... waiting for what? Waiting for something.

My boyfriend played nurse (watching "27 Dresses" with me -- eh, predictable movie) while my sister hid in her room (she had the stomach flu two weeks prior and wanted nothing to do with it again). I curled up in blankets and told her I felt like Claire Danes in "Little Women." ... "Didn't she have Polio or something?" my sister said. Very funny. We've all seen the movie. Maybe that wasn't the best comparison.

At 3 a.m. when I still couldn't sleep from feeling so nauseous I ventured back downstairs to my couch and discovered Tori Spelling's reality show with her husband. A great find. What was happening on this particular episode??? Tori was trapped on a boat in the high seas while her husband went scuba diving, leaving her sea sick on the boat.

All the talk about Tori feeling sick made me SICK! That was it! I finally threw up... for the first time in more than a decade! In the middle of the night. Alone. By myself. Watching some mom from 90210. How strange. After such a great weekend -- fourth of July with Michelle and Travis on the lake, visiting with Bart and Ali, lunch with Travis, writing a new song, working out... and it ended up like this???? I ran to tell my boyfriend of how wonderful I was FINALLY feeling when he was SOUND ASLEEP.

Needless to say I felt better, but not healed. Was this the stomach flu? Food poisening? My appendix? Who knew. I visited the doctor the next morning to see what was up (the flu) and got the appropriate meds to hold my topsy-turvy stomach over. Instead the medicines put me in a coma. No joke. My house could have burned down or been carried away by a flash flud and I'd still be peacefully in la-la land with my silky comforter.

In the middle of my dream I hear this... "Nick! Nick! Nikki!" from somewhere. It sounded so real. Like when I was a kid and my mom would wake me up for school or something. Still I slept. So peaceful. So numb from being sick. So OUT OF IT! I finally awoke to find that my MOTHER had been downstairs for an hour throwing things at my window. "I thought you were dead!" she said when I finally opened the front door. "No, I'm fine. Just tired. These med's are insane," I said.

And so we cut them in half -- because some say I am half the size of a normal person -- and off to sleep I went again, mother happy that I'm alive and my friends and other family members happy that she's done calling them wondering how to pry open my front door to find, "her daughter laying on the floor with an appendicitis."

Long story stort -- jinx! -- I am alive. And thank you to everyone who called me to check on me. =)

I feel much better and have since watched two other episodes of Tori Spelling's reality show, which I think depicts her as a great wife and mother. Maybe someday she'll be standing outside her son Liam's room -- throwing things at the window and wonering if her sickling is OK. And in some crazy parallel world, Liam would be recovering from a long night of no sleep, feeling sick and watching the Nicole reality show on TV.

Oh, that would be the sickest!!! =)

No comments: